Friday, March 5, 2010

Kristy's Award Winning Chili!


Tonight our ward had a chili cook-off and cake auction as a fundraiser for the scouts. I took my chili and didn't expect anything to come of it, but I won first place. It was kind of fun to win! Anyway, a few people asked for the recipe so I thought I would post it here for anyone who wants it.

Ingredients
1 pound ground beef
1 small chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can creamed corn
1 quart diced tomatoes (I use my jarred tomatoes from my garden or you can use 2-16 oz cans from the store)
3/4 cup salsa (again I use my jarred salsa, just use your favorite salsa)
1 tablespoon southwest seasoning mix

Directions
In skillet brown ground beef, onion, and garlic, with chili powder and salt and pepper. Drain off excess fat. Add tomatoes. Transfer to a stock pot and stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer. I add a little bit more chili powder at this point to taste. I usually serve it with some sour cream and shredded cheese, I was also thinking it would be yummy on some baked potatoes!

This is a super quick and easy recipe. It can be ready in about 15 minutes. I simmered it for about a half an hour just because that was when it was time to go. It is a great recipe for families with kids because it is mild, but I think it has really good flavor too.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Good job! Obviously it was delish!

CharityMay said...

yay! thanks! i never thought to put creamed corn in chili...yum. congratulations on your win!