Saturday, August 21, 2010

Going on a Berry Hunt!

Last Saturday Allan, his brother Rob, brother-in-law Shane, and a bunch of the kids: Chelsie, Josh, Jason, Austin, Justin and Jared hiked Mt. Borah. While they were gone Rob's wife Robin called up to see if I wanted to go and pick some huckleberries up in Kelly Canyon.
Robin and I took my 5 kids and 2 of hers and they all did great! She helped me by carrying Brayden around. Hailey and Ashlyn were good little pickers, they kept saying they were going to make huckleberry juice, but in the end Robin and I convinced them that wasn't the best thing to do with the berries.
The kids worked really hard, I don't know if it was because their cousins were there or what because I took them to pick raspberries with me the other day and they helped for about 5 minutes and were done!
Natalie wasn't the biggest fan of looking for berries, so she occupied herself with Max.
Lilly spent about 1/2 the time in this pack and 1/2 the time out of it, she couldn't really decide what she wanted! She would ask to get down and about two minutes later she would say, "My Seat!" and want back in. There were also a bunch of cows around where we were picking and every time she would hear a cow she would say, "I hear moo." and point in the direction of the noise.
Ty and Ally looking for berries and Lilly one of the times she was down, she was actually really good at finding berries. They are very tiny little things, they look a lot like a blueberry but they are about half the size. There is one on the bush that Lilly is looking at in the corner of the picture, can you see it?
Hailey and Ally were annoyed that I was making them stop looking to take this picture.
Here is one of everyone going down. We were still picking berries the whole way. We were up there for about 4 hours, including the time we were eating lunch and picked 4 cups of huckleberries all together. There is a reason these little treasures cost about $30 a pint to buy! But the huckleberry pancakes we had for breakfast the next morning were sure yummy!
I had so much fun going on this little hike. I had never been up Kelly Canyon before. It is beautiful up there and there is a hot springs I told Allan he has to take us to soon! I have decided we need to start going on more hikes and adventures!

2 comments:

Shaunna said...

Sounds like a sweet way to spend a morning (no pun intended.). Can't believe how quickly your little girls are growing up. Every time I look at your pictures, I think I'm looking at the older one when it's really a picture of the next one down. Can't wait to see them again. Someday.

James and Tricia Thomas said...

That looks so fun! I remember going huckleberry hunting as a child with my family and LOVED it!